Victims Services

Great Bay Community College is dedicated to serving victims of crimes within our community.  We work closely with campus and community victim advocacy groups, mental health facilities, and community service organizations to provide victims with the resources they need. Check out the links to learn more about victim rights and available resources.

Victims' Bill of Rights


  • To be treated with fairness and respect for their dignity and privacy throughout the criminal justice process
  • To be informed about the criminal justice process and how it progresses
  • To be free from intimidation and to be reasonably protected from the accused throughout the criminal justice system.
  • To be notified of all court proceedings.
  • To attend trial and all other court proceedings the accused has the right to attend.
  • To confer with the prosecution and to be consulted about the disposition of the case, including plea bargaining.
  • To have inconveniences associated with participation in the criminal justice system process minimized.
  • To be notified if presence in court is not required.
  • To be informed about available resources, financial assistance, and social services.
  • To restitution, as granted under RSA 651:62-67 or any other applicable state law, or victim’s compensation, under RSA 21-M:8-h, or any other applicable state law for their losses.
  • To be provided a secure, but not necessarily separate, waiting area during court proceedings 
  • To be advised of case progress and final disposition.
  • To the right of confidentiality of the victim’s address, place of employment, and other personal information
  • To the prompt return of property when no longer needed as evidence.
  • To appear and make a written or oral “victim impact” statement at the sentencing of the defendant.
  • To be notified of an appeal, an explanation of the appeal process, the time, place and result of the appeal, and the right to attend the appeal hearing.
  • To be notified and attend sentence review hearings and sentence reduction hearings.
  • To be notified of any change of status such as prison release, permanent interstate transfer, or escape, and the date of the parole board hearing, when requested by the victim through the victim advocate.
  • To address or submit a written statement for consideration by the parole board on the defendant’s release and to be notified of the decision of the board, when requested by the victim through the victim advocate.
  • To be notified, upon request, of HIV Testing results of the defendant AFTER he/she has been convicted of any offense under RSA 632-A (sexual assaults). The State shall provide, upon request, HIV testing and HIV counseling to the victim.
  • To be compensated, when eligible, for financial losses (counseling, medical).

Sexual Assault

Sexual assault is a crime; if you are the victim of a sexual assault you are strongly encouraged to report the assault.  According to New Hampshire law, sexual assaults involve the use of force or threat of force to sexually touch or penetrate the victim's body or forcing the victim to touch or penetrate the offender's body. Threats of death or use of a weapon increases the severity of legal charges. Sex crimes can be prosecuted even if the victim knew the attacker, the victim did not fight back, the victim had consensual sex with the attacker previously, or the victim was intoxicated or unconscious.

If you have been sexually assaulted:

Seek medical attention immediately. Do not shower, change clothes, or disturb the scene of the attack. Go to the emergency room of a hospital; ask a friend to go with you, if possible. Local hospitals include Wentworth-Douglass Hospital, at 789 Central Avenue Dover, NH; Portsmouth Regional Hospital, at 333 Borthwick Avenue Portsmouth, NH; and Exeter Hospital, at 5 Alumni Drive Exeter.  NH. Hospital personnel will treat the physical consequences of assault, such as injury, infection, disease, and pregnancy.  They can collect evidence that will be needed if you report the crime.  The hospital personnel can perform an anonymous evidence collection kit if you so wish.  

If you choose to notify the police should be aware of the importance of the immediacy of reporting the incident and the importance of preserving physical evidence at the assault scene as well as on your body.  The gathering of physical evidence can provide important evidence and support of criminal charges leading to a successful prosecution.

If you choose not to immediately report the incident days, weeks, or even months after the assault, important support systems are still available and can be arranged; however, criminal investigations become much more difficult.

Sexual assaults are felony level crimes.  The prosecution of sexual assaults is within the authority of the Strafford County Attorney’s Office.  The Strafford County Sexual Assault Protocol is the guiding policy for all Strafford County law enforcement agencies.  


What is Stalking?

In New Hampshire Stalking is defined by RSA 633:3-a.  Stalking is a course of conduct targeted at a specific person which would cause a reasonable person to fear for his or her personal safety or the safety of a member of that person's immediate family, and the person is actually placed in such fear.

  • Stalking is serious, often violent, and can escalate over time.
  • Some things stalkers do:
  • Follow you and show up wherever you are.
  • Send unwanted gifts, letters, cards, or e-mails.
  • Damage your home, car, or other property.
  • Monitor your phone calls or computer use.
  • Use technology, like hidden cameras or global positioning systems (GPS), to track where you go.
  • Drive by or hang out at your home, school, or work.
  • Threaten to hurt you, your family, friends, or pets.
  • Find out about you by using public records or online search services, hiring investigators, going through your garbage, or contacting friends, family, neighbors, or co-workers.
  • Posting information or spreading rumors about you on the Internet, in a public place, or by word of mouth.
  • Other actions that control, track, or frighten you.

You are not to blame for a stalker's behavior.

If you are being stalked, you may:

  • Feel fear of what the stalker will do.
  • Feel vulnerable, unsafe, and not know who to trust.
  • Feel anxious, irritable, impatient, or on edge.
  • Feel depressed, hopeless, overwhelmed, tearful, or angry.
  • Feel stressed, including having trouble concentrating, sleeping, or remembering things.
  • Have eating problems, such as appetite loss, forgetting to eat, or overeating.
  • Have flashbacks, disturbing thoughts, feelings, or memories.
  • Feel confused, frustrated, or isolated because other people don't understand why you are afraid.

These are common reactions to being stalked.

What do you do if you are being stalked:

  • If you are in immediate danger, call 911. 
  • Don’t downplay the danger.  If you feel unsafe, you probably are. 
  • Do not communicate with your stalker. 
  • Tell family, friends and others you trust about the stalking and seek their support.
  • Keep a log of all incidents; including their time, date, place and other details you may find important.  Stalking is a course of conduct; police must establish that for their case.  Keep all emails, phone messages, letters, notes or social media messages.  Photograph anything of yours the stalker damaged or any injuries they may have caused.  Keep this log in a safe place and out of access to the stalker.
  • Consider getting a Protective Order from the court.

For more information on Stalking visit the Stalking Resource Center.  Much of the information for this site was derived from the Stalking Resource Center. 

Relationship Violence

Abuse can happen to anyone regardless of race, economic status, gender, sexual orientation, or where one lives. People stay in abusive relationships for many reasons including: fear, belief that their abuser needs help and will change, and because they care about the person.

You have rights in a relationship. Relationships should be built on a foundation of respect and should include qualities like honesty, openness, trust, support, and understanding.

What is relationship abuse?

Relationship Abuse can be defined as a pattern of behavior in any relationship that is used to gain or maintain power and control over an intimate partner. Abuse is physical, sexual, emotional, economic or psychological actions or threats of actions that influence another person. This includes any behaviors that frighten, intimidate, terrorize, manipulate, hurt, humiliate, blame, injure or wound someone.

You may be in a physically abusive relationship if your partner has ever:

  • Damaged property when angry (thrown objects, punched walls, kicked doors, etc.);
  • Pushed, slapped, bitten, kicked or strangled you;
  • Abandoned you in a dangerous or unfamiliar place;
  • Scared you by driving recklessly;
  • Used a weapon to threaten or hurt you;
  • Forced you to leave your home;
  • Trapped you in your home or kept you from leaving;
  • Prevented you from calling police or seeking medical attention;
  • Hurt or threatened to hurt someone you care about;
  • Used physical force in sexual situations.

What can I do if I am being abused?

No one deserves to be in an abusive relationship and the abuse is not your fault.
Help is available.

  • If you are in immediate physical danger you can call 911.
  • If you have been injured you can go to the hospital or your doctors to get medical attention;
  • You can tell supportive family and friends what has happened. Friends and family may be able to offer support and resources;
  • You can attend a support group for survivors of relationship abuse;
  • You can create a safety plan for whether you are leaving or staying in the relationship;
  • You can take legal action; for example, applying for a protective order. A protective order is a court order telling your abuser to have no further contact with or you friends and family.

Identity Theft

Identity theft happens when someone steals your personal information and uses it without your permission. It’s a serious crime that can wreak havoc with your finances, credit history, and reputation — and can take time, money, and patience to resolve.

What to Do:

Place an Initial Fraud Alert

Three national credit reporting companies keep records of your credit history. If someone has misused your personal or financial information, call 1 of the companies and ask for an initial fraud alert on your credit report. A fraud alert is free. You must provide proof of your identity. The company you call must tell the other companies about your alert.

An initial fraud alert can make it harder for an identity thief to open more accounts in your name. When you have an alert on your report, a business must verify your identity before it issues credit, so it may try to contact you. The initial alert stays on your report for at least 90 days. You can renew it after 90 days. It allows you to order one free copy of your credit report from each of the three credit reporting companies. Be sure the credit reporting companies have your current contact information so they can get in touch with you.

Credit Reporting Companies




Order Your Credit Reports

Now that you’ve placed an initial fraud alert, you are entitled to a free credit report from each of the three credit reporting companies.  The credit reporting company that you call will explain your rights and how you can get a free copy of your credit report. Order the report and ask the company to show only the last four digits of your Social Security number on your report.

If you know which of your accounts have been tampered with, contact the related businesses. Talk to someone in the fraud department, and follow up in writing. Send your letters by certified mail; ask for a return receipt. That creates a record of your communications.

Create an Identity Theft Report

Submit a report about the theft to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC). When you finish writing all the details, print a copy of the report. It will be called an Identity Theft Affidavit.
Bring your FTC Identity Theft Affidavit when you file a police report.
File a police report about the identity theft, and get a copy of the police report or the report number. Your FTC Identity Theft Affidavit and your police report make an Identity Theft Report.

Content for this page was derived from the Federal Trade Commission's website.