Biotechnology Advanced Certificate
For more information about the outlook and trends for the Biotechnology
industry please visit: www.bls.gov
To learn more about potential earnings visit:
Bureau of Labor Statistics
Occupational Outlook Handbook
Students will be able to:
- Understand the role of biotechnology in human experience, past and in the present
- Understand the “benchtop to bottle” process of bringing a biopharmaceutical or other biotechnology-based product to market
- Understand the Central Dogma, and its role as the theoretical foundation of modern biotechnology
- Understand and be able to apply the scientific method
- Understand and be able to execute a wide variety of laboratory techniques in microbiology, biochemistry and molecular genetics, including (but not limited to) solution preparation, gene cloning, DNA extraction and amplification, library construction, hybridization, forensic analysis, cell culture, and protein production, purification and verification
- Generate and maintain accurate lab documentation, including laboratory notebooks, batch records and log books
- Understand and adhere to the documentation guidelines of cGMP, when required
- Analyze and draw conclusions from generated scientific data, and present findings in a formal laboratory report.
- Understand the basic principles of genomics, proteomics and systems approaches in biotechnology
- Conduct basic bioinformatics-based analysis.
- Use critical thinking and principles of logic to analyze ethical issues raised in the practice of biotechnology.
- Qualify for entry level work in the biomanufacturing sector of the biotechnology industry.